Saturday, February 14, 2009

Ikebana, the Japanese art of flower arranging


Here's my latest creation (well, I should say "our" since I do have help). Today we mixed it up a little and moved the part that you actually stick the stems into over to the far right side of the vase leaving space on the left for filling. The whole process is starting to feel more comfortable to me. I like that it has rules I can learn to follow, and yet still be creative in my placement of most everything. I'm really glad I'm learning something about a traditional Japanese art, it is one of the bright parts of my adventure here. Every time I look at a finished flower arrangement I can't really believe that I arranged it. (This one smells amazing too.) The cherry blossoms are starting to bloom on Asuwa mountain. Bryan brought a little bloom home from a walk yesterday and it smells like spring. The weather has been downright balmy for the last week or two compared to the freezing winter we had. We are soaking up the sun and warm breezes like little bears waking up from months of hibernation.

No comments: